Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Diary on Practice

Today I embarked on a challenge with one of my best friends. Jocelyne and I have been friends now for more than 5 years.

We met at a Weight Watchers group and as much as we lost weight, we gained a friendship. Our friendship has grown almost as quickly as the weight we have managed to gain back, so today we made a commitment, set goals and will support each other this journey (basically lose the weight we have gained back and take back our health). Rather than give WW our money again, we have decided to put the money ($20.00ea) into a sealed jar and take a holiday together at a yoga spa/retreat the week between Christmas and New Year's 2011.

I was reflecting this evening and wondered why we "practice yoga", but we don't practice eating, right like I need to practice eating. To become a yogi master, one must practice for many years and with intention and focus. There are so many yogi masters in the world, they eat to live, not live to eat. This year, I will try to integrate my yoga practice with my eating practice. Yoga helps me relieve the burdens of my day and life, it helps me to gain focus. What I do need to do is practice eating with intention and focus, in order to master my diet. My diet practice will help me to remove the burdens excess weight has on my health. That is my goal.

As a commitment to myself, I'll share my diet and yoga practice here.

Day One
My day started with green tea, 1/2 bagel with peanut butter (tablespoon). Jocelyne & I managed a short yoga session and then a lovely lunch - sauteed shrimp on romaine with a ginger/soy dressing. Apple for an afternoon snack. For dinner I grilled a 4 oz of salmon and 6 asparagus spears, 1/2 cup brown rice, 1/2 cup mushrooms sauteed in ginger/soy dressing. For dessert, 1 cup diet pudding. My eating today was just a little more mindful than my usual habits.

Here's to 2011.
Cheers & Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment