Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Meeting the challenge

I am a runner. Runners run for a number of reasons, some would say because we are crazy, or as my brother-in-law Butch would say - DFR, especially to do this during the winter in Canada. I actually don't know why I run. Rain, snow, sleet, blazing sun or bitter cold, I run. That said, I rarely run alone and when I run, I need a route - the route needs to engage me, maybe it's a trail, maybe a new hill to conquer or a timed race. As an extrovert, I am energized when I am around people, so I run with other runners.

This evening I had the pleasure of meeting more than 20 people who have accepted a challenge, either personal or one thrust upon them, to train to run 5km in the winter.

As the instructor for this clinic, I will provide them with the tools, techniques and tactics to be a successful 5k runner, thanks in part to a pre-determined program, but that isn't what will make this group succeed (okay maybe some of them). My real job is to inspire them, help them find their motivation, dig deep inside themselves to meet the challenge they have embarked upon.

So what does this have to do with my goal for 2011. Well, I know how to run, how to exercise, how to eat right and how to find balance in my life, it's not enough to have the tools, techniques or tactics to success, it takes commitment and passion to succeed. So, I ask the universe, why is it so hard for me to find the personal motivation to succeed? Following my 1/2 marathon last spring, my daughter told me that the reason I had such a tough time running the race alone (even though I had trained) was because I didn't have anyone to encourage or inspire along the way.

Yoga is an internal practice. I get that, however, I love to teach yoga. Like that old saying goes....those who can do - do, those who can't teach. In 4 days of self -reflection, a pattern is emerging (just like my Cassie said), I succeed best when I share the challenge and have someone to celebrate with when I meet the challenge.

I hope to develop the internal focus but in the meantime, Jocelyne and my new 5km group will be my inspiration to succeed with my goals. Getting out to run with them, share stories and succeed weekly will motivate all of us to meet our challenge, especially ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment