Thursday, January 6, 2011

Taking care of ME!

Today began with my monthly visit to my chiropractor - spine adjustment. As a runner, and more importantly someone over 50, finding methods to keep me healthy and on the road means accepting different forms of treatment. I don't like taking drugs to relieve my pains, so it is so much easier to take advantage of the non-traditional medicine methods, chiropractors, massage, yogi, and meditation, there are so many ways to find wellness and balance.

I have been feeling additional stress in my neck & head lately at work lately, so rather than take asprin, advil, whatever, I tried an Indian Head massage. If you have never experienced an Indian Head Massage, I highly recommend it. That is what I did at lunch today. I heading back to work feeling invigorated, and productive, versus, stressed and looking to snack on bad choices.

Today was my wellness day. Call it my selfish day. So often we take care of other - our children, our parents, our boss - we tend to forget about the most important person in our life - ourselves. I always think about the drill when on an airplane and the steward announces you must put your mask on first before putting it on your child. How can we help others, unless we take care of ourselves. My health is so important - I want to be around for a very long time and healthy. I hope to see my daughters happy in their grown up lives, maybe married, maybe grandchildren, not to mention hopefully growing old with the love of my life (need to find him first).

This year is about taking care of me. One day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment